Chocolate desserts are hard to say no to. I feel super guilty after indulging in creamy chocolate desserts. Butter, sugar and to top it all- whipped cream; my long walks seem to go waste!!! I have always wanted to make low fat version of chocolate desserts without compromising on the taste. That's when I stumbled on to this chocolate pudding recipe. It has no butter, cream or egg.Just milk, sugar, custard, cocoa and vanilla. It doesn't require steaming or baking. It is a simple one pot recipe. I tweaked it to my convenience. For extra richness you can add a small piece of chocolate which is optional.
Here is the recipe for creamy eggless low fat chocolate pudding :)
makes 4 cups
- Milk - 500 ml
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla flavoured custard powder - 4 tbs (40g)
- Cocoa powder - 2 tbs
- Chocolate - 1 medium piece (5rs dairy milk should do)(optional)
- Vanilla flavor - 1 tsp
- Take 500 ml milk. Set aside 100 ml and heat the rest in a thick bottom vessel.
- In a bowl mix custard powder, cocoa powder and milk using a wire whisk. Keep whisking till there are no lumps.
- Prepare the cups or bowls you are going to set the pudding by wetting their inner surface with cold water.
- Add sugar, vanilla and chocolate to the milk just before it boils and stir to dissolve.
- Take the custard mixture in one hand and wire whisk in another. Add the mixture slowly to the boiling milk and mix well with the wire whisk to prevent lump formation.
- Once the mixture starts thickening it will get a nice shine. Remove from heat and pour the thickened mixture on to the prepared cups. Cover it with foil or cling film and refrigerate for 75 to 80 minutes. Dig in !!!
- If you like your pudding very sweet increase the quantity of sugar accordingly (better to taste the hot pudding and adjust sugar before pouring into the mould)
- Even if you are using vanilla flavored custard, it is better to add vanilla extract (otherwise there is a good chance for you to get a bland doughy pudding)
- Remove from heat only after the pudding thickens and gets its consistency.
- After refrigeration the pudding tends to thicken and develop a layer / skin on top.
- Serve it with strawberry or raspberry puree for added flavor.
sendin to beat the heat event by surabhi