I have been wanting to make a healthy whole wheat cake for a long time. This time instead of browsing for recipes, thought I will try making something on my own. The cake came out well. It was super moist and fudgey !!! It tasted more or less like brownie except for the banana flavor. When people tasted it, very few could make out that it was made with whole wheat.
- Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- Sugar - little less than 1 cup
- Cocoa powder - 1/3 cup
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Banana - 1/4 cup ripe mashed
- Canola or vegetable oil - 2 tbs
- Flax seeds - 1 1/2 tbs
- Milk - 150 ml / 3/4 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1tsp
- Chocolate chips or nuts or both together - a handful
- Preheat the oven to 170C. (In case your oven doesn't have preheat option then directly place the cake batter. Preheat not mandatory for this cake. ) Grease a 9' round baking tray.
- Take flax seed and soak it in 3 tbs lukewarm milk for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients (wheat flour, salt, baking powder, nuts, chocochips and cocoa powder). Whisk well and make a well in the center.
- Blend flax seed and milk to get a smooth paste. Add banana and blend again.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients i.e, flax seed - banana mixture, canola oil, vanilla, sugar and half the quantity of milk.
- Pour the wet ingredient in to the dry ingredient bowl and mix. Add rest of the milk in small portions and mix till you get the right consistency of the batter. (batter consistency - similar to thick porridge)
- Transfer the batter to the greased tray and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. It took 23 minutes for me. Cool the cake before you cut it. Yummy healthy fudge cake ready. Dig in !!!
- The cake will not be fluffy but dense and moist more like a fudge brownie.
- Fudge cakes taste better when they are slightly undercooked. If you over cook them it will become dry and hard.
- The cake batter is yummy !!! no eggs so no salmonella !!! so you may want to lick it clean after you transfer!!!:)
Sending it to Kid's delight by priya.