Thursday, August 28, 2014

Aloo masala

When I was a kid puri masala used to be a sunday special. At least once a month my mom used to make this for me and my bro. I used to love the hot puffed up poori. As kids even small things used to amuse me. I loved to put my hands in the middle of the puffed puris and watch it deflate. 



Even as a kid I was never a big fan of spicy food. And that used to be another reason as to why I love this mildly spiced potato side dish. Typically, I add only potatoes and onions to this dish but sometime when my pantry is overflowing with veggies I add some tomato, carrot and even peas. (More the better policy doesnt seem to work in this case. I find the dish more delectable when it is just potato and onion.)

I love  aloo masala with dosa too.  Mysore masala dosa  has a red chutney spread on the dosa along with aloo masala, but the ones in Tamil Nadu rarely have the red chutney.

This is an easy peasy recipe and best when you dont want to slog it out in the kitchen. All the ingredients needed for this is usually readily available.


   
    INGREDIENTS
    SERVES 2
  • Potato  - 4 medium  (boiled and mashed)
  • Onion  -  1 small ( chopped lengthwise)
  • Garlic - 2 (optional)
  • Ginger - 1 inch piece
  • Green chillies - 4 (chopped)
  • Lemon - 1/2
  • Coriander - 1 tbsp (chopped)
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt
  • Oil - 3 tsp
  1. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard and cumin. When it splutters add garlic, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves, onion and turmeric and saute for  two minutes.
  2. Add the mashed potatoes, salt and 1/2 cup water. Let it simmer for few minutes and the gravy will start to thicken.
  3. Add coriander, remove from heat and finish off with juice of half a lemon.
  4. Serve hot with puffed up pooris or with crisp dosa (rice crepes).

No comments:

Post a Comment