It is amazing as to how just a few simple ingredients can be used to make some of the most delectable dishes.This post is on one of the most popular desser
t of India, Pal payasam / Kheer.
All you need for making this is milk, raw rice and sugar. The rice is boiled in milk and to this mixture sugar is added. It is then simmered till it reduces in volume and becomes thick and creamy :) Cashews and raisins roasted in ghee or saffron can be added for garnish but if prepared well, the milk itself will give a very nice flavour.
- Milk - 500ml ( 2 1/2 cups)
- Sugar - 150g ( 3/4 )
- Rice - 50-70g (about 1/4 cup)
1. In a thick bottom vessel boil the milk.
2. Add the rice to the milk and allow the rice to cook. This will take a while. Stir from time to time.
3.Once the rice is cooked, add the sugar and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir. Remove from heat once it reaches the desired consistency ( has to thicken) Add cardamom powder(optional) Serve hot.
- use a bigger size vessel (1 or 1.5 litre vessel for 500 ml milk) you dont want the milk to overflow.
- use 200g sugar if you want it to be really sweat. i like it mild ;)