I love paneer. I find it hard to keep my hands off paneer dishes. Here is a very simple paneer recipe that doesnt even need onions :) yes finally I have managed to make something thats delcious without onions ( love onions but dont like chopping them ).
Tomatoes are cooked in water with spices till soft. It is then allowed to cool, pureed and simmered for 10 to 15 minutes. It is removed from the heat and cream, milk,paneer are added. Yummy paneer tamatari is ready.
Though it is a very simple to make, it is very rich as we add cream and milk to add volume and evenout the flavour and tanginess of the gravy.
- Paneer - 200g (cubed)
- Tomatoes - 4 (medium size)
- Cinnamon - 1 small piece ( 1 inch)
- Cardamom - 2 pods
- Pepper - 2
- Milk - 50 ml or 1/4 cup
- Cream - 5 0ml or 1/4 cup
- Green chillies - 3 or 4 finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 small piece ( 1 inch finely chopped )
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Combine tomatoes, sugar, cinnamon, pepper & cardamom with 1 cup water and cook till tomatoes are soft (10 - 12 minutes).
- Allow it to cool and blend to a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add ginger and green chillies, saute.
- Add the prepared puree, salt and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from flame and add cream, milk and paneer.
- Mix well and add coriander. Serve hot.
To make the low fat version add 2 tsps of cornflour (make a paste with water) to the gravy and simmer for few minutes. Remove from flame and add 1/2 cup milk. (HAVENT TRIED TIS SO NOT SURE IF IT WILL TASTE AS GUD AS THE ONE WITH CREAM ;) )
Courtesy - Tarla Dalal Mughlai khanna