Cheesecakes are one of the best desserts and simple to make. Cheese that is used
for making the cheesecake is usually fresh/soft cheese (cream cheese, ricotta or mascarpone) ie they dont have preservatives so shelf life is less.
There are different styles of making cheesecakes and the simplest doesnt require baking :) so thought ll try that first. Cream cheese is the main ingredient but I couldnt find it so I had to make creamcheese. When you make creamcheese at home it wont be firm enough to hold the cake so in that case you will have to add whipped cream (heavy cream so amul fresh cream cannot be used as its low fat so you cannot whip it to get peaks).
Since I couldnt find both cream cheese as well as heavy cream I had to modify the main recipe a lott. So I will post both the recipes, the original and the modified try whichever one you are comfortable with.
RECIPE - 1 (ORIGINAL)
- creamcheese 150g
- condensed milk 250ml
- lemon juice 5 tsp
- thin sheets of sponge cake or powdered biscuit
- In a mould/vessel place the thin sheets of sponge cake or powdered biscuit to make the crust
- In a bowl beat the cream cheese till its smooth and fluffy
- Add half of the condensed milk and continue beating
- Add lemon juice and beat
- Add rest of the condensed milk , beat and the pour the mixture into the mould/vessel
- Chill for 2 hours or till the cake sets.
- Serve with raspberry/strawberry/blackcurrent sauce as topping (optional)
- Homemade cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp corn flour
- lemon juice - 2 tsp
- condensed milk - 90ml ie appx 1/2 cup
- Good day biscuits powdered
- Take 500 ml full cream milk , bring it to boil and remove from flame.
- Dissolve half a spoon of citric acid crystals in warm water and add it to the milk
- Stir occationally and after half hour strain using a muslin cloth (will be like panner)
- Take a mould and spread a thin layer of powdered biscuit to form the crust
- Liquidise the cream cheese using a food processor till its smooth
- Add condensed milk, corn flour, lemon juice and mix again (If you add too much condensed milk then the mix will not solidify well)
- Pour it into the mould and chill for 2 hrs
- In a thick bottom vessel add 75 ml of fresh cream, chopped milky bar 2 slabs
- Heat the mixture till the chocolate melts and mixes with the cream to make the sauce
- Pour a thin layer over the cheesecake and chill
- Before serving drizzle with fruit sauce (or even Kissan mixed fruit jam ... yup thats wat I did ;))
Cream cheese has to be smooth and the tanginess of the lemon makes it refreshing
Cheesecakes doesnt taste good when it is too sweet
When you pour into the mould the consistency of the mix should be thick, only then the cake will set so watch the amount of condensed milk you add.
Think in supermarkets like Nilgiris you will get cream cheese and heavy/whip cream