- Flour (maida) - 1 cup (about 125g)
- Condensed milk - 200g (1/2 can)
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Butter/nutralite - 60ml(melted)
- Water - 75 ml
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Sieve flour and baking powder together thrice.
- In a bowl added the sieved mix, condensed milk, butter, water and vanilla essence. Beat well till it forms a smooth paste.
- Grease a baking tray and pour the mixture.
- Bake at 200c for 10 minutes and then at 150c for 10 to 15 minutes.
- The cake is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean or when the cake leaves the sides of the tray.
- Cool the cake for 5 to 10 minutes. Loosen the edges, invert and tap.
Recipe courtesy Tarla Dalal
Make sure you add the right amount. Use measuring cups if possible.
To make chocolate sponge cake add 1 tbs cocoa powder and 1 tbs chocolate powder to maida before sieving.
1tbs is equal to 3 leveled tsp.
Toss in some chopped walnuts on top before baking the cake.